07 April, 2012

Fixed Prototype/GT @ Phillip Island - Hard to pass

Results (image) - Results on iRacing

Qualified 4th with a blinder of a lap (see previous entry) but lost one position right after the start to Philip Stamm by virtue of a sneaky move up the inside of T2. I shadowed him for three laps, gradually closing in and peeking up the inside of T3 a few times. I went for a proper move on the fourth lap but out-braked myself and lost two positions to the scrapping pair of Andreas Osthoff and Tarcilo Cordeiro. Tarcilo snuck past Andreas, but couldn't quite shake him as we started moving through traffic. They collide five laps later between turns 1 and 2 and are out of the race, promoting me back into 5th with a 5-second gap up to Philip with 8 laps to go.

Highlights up until this point in the race, by Andreas Osthoff:


I got my head down and started to do some really quick and consistent laps in clean air. I lost out a bit of time due to unfortunate timing when catching Corvettes and GTs, but I was reeling Philip in at a decent rate each lap. On the final lap, I was right on his gearbox through the sharp right-hander after the downhill braking zone and could only slipstream him to the finish line. An exhilarating finish to a decent race!

No comments: