06 May, 2012

Fixed Prototype/GT @ Watkins Glen - Pressure cooker

Results (image) - Results on iRacing

The HPD has once again been updated for a new season, and this time it has more top speed (at least compared with the GT cars) and less front-end grip. This means that passing the GT cars is a lot easier, and that the car isn't as insanely planted and grippy through the corners as it was last season. For the race, I qualified well in what was a really big field consisting of 34 cars. I got settled in pretty quickly, and overtook two cars who had gone off the road for position. Most of the race consisted of chasing Mauro Licciardello in 3rd, and trying in vain to find a way past. I was consistently getting a good tow from him up the esses and I was much quicker through the chicaine, but even if you get alongside at that point it's still a dangerous place to pass. I was very fortunate not to get nerfed off the road as he chopped me off once as we entered the chicaine. The closest I got to actually getting past him was when I out-braked him into the toe, but couldn't capitalise on it through the next left-hander. All in all, though, it was a fun race with 0 incident points.

No comments: