16 June, 2006

Vader Trophy - Mexico

[Wednesday - 7th of June]

Track Map

Viva Mexico! Every time I've raced here I've had a cracking time. This race was not to be an exception, as I managed to qualify my BRM 8th with a new PB just under the 1:50 mark. The start, however, was not quite so good. I got a good getaway - better than anybody in front of me - but there was no room to get past as the road was blocked with cars ahead. I moved to the left to slot in behind a BRM, but the Ferrari of Stuart Knibbs was in my blind spot and we're both send spinning. Fortunately nobody else gets collected, but we do lose quite a bit of time to the others. There must have been an accident exiting turn one as Simon Steele's Brabham is going very slowly, and the rest of the pack is within eyesight heading into the hairpin.

I run a lap in 8th due to a spin from Chris Kirk, but a small off by myself relegates me back to 9th. Another spin by Kirk two laps later bumps me back up to 8th, two seconds behind Gav's BRM. Gav pulls away and a few laps later I pass Jannis Koopman's spun-off Ferrari. Unfortunately I suffer a spin of my own only a few laps later in turn one and drop back down to 8th, and spin again in the exact same spot on the very next lap. Jannis spins off three laps from the finish in turn one and I have an un-dramatic drive from then on, en route to a 7th place finish.

A quick lap in qualifying, a good getaway, managing to only take myself and one other driver out in the crash, being within eyesight of a car most of the time and a good result. I couldn't have asked for more. Well, I could've done without the start crash but meh, those things happen.

No comments: