04 June, 2006

WOSEC - Nürburgring (take 2)

[Saturday - 3rd of June]

Track Map

Server issues last week meant that the race had to be postponed one week, and subsequently more time to practise. Good thing for me as a matter of fact, as I managed to improve my pace a bit vis à vis last week. Neil Stratton qualified my car (VTR4) 6th on the grid, and had a single fuel run before handing over to me. Apart from a small 360 spin on one of my early laps it was smooth sailing, I was even running (comfortably, might I add) way up in third at one point! After handing back over to Neil we were in 4th, with VTR1-2-3 in first second and third: A clean sweep! However, it was not to be, as I...er...made a small mistake with only a handful of laps to go (lifted a bit too late and turned in too late for Flugplatz) and ended up straddling the fence. When I was finally allowed to re-join we'd lost 4th to SFH, and as if to add insult to injury the car blew up at Hohe-Acht on the very last lap. It was a good race for VTR though: A clean-sweep of the podium!

Endurance racing at the 'ring, it doesn't get any better than this. I had a great time chatting over the radio with VTR3 drivers Ian Woollam and Neil Pearson while driving, and we were constantly taking the piss out of each other. I do whish I'd tried reversing back onto the track after my crash though, but hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing.

No comments: