22 June, 2006

Vader Trophy - Le Mans

[Wednesday - 21st of June]

Track Map

After a series of 3 quick laps, all within about a second of each other, I was looking forward to this one. I sandbagged the first part of qualifying due to the crash magnet that is Dunlop corner here at Le Mans. I then realised that on PB pace I could qualify well up in the top half of the grid, so I emptied the tanks and got ready to do a flyer. Coming up to the end of the outlap I was brutally denied due to the screen freezing up. With only a handful of minutes left in qually I instantly hit the reset button, and made it back in with about three minutes to spare. So I was still at the back of the grid, back to plan A.

Instead of the usual dump-the-clutch-and-blast-away I leisurely engaged first and let the field build up a small gap. As soon as I saw the cars start to fly through the air I had plenty of time to slow down and avoid them. Unfortunately I fluffed it in Tetre Rouge and re-joined in the middle of a group of three cars. Jannis Koopman in his Ferrari couldn't seem to get past me and my dual-engined BRM on the Mulsanne straight (or Hunaudierés), and was constantly ducking in and out of my slipstream down the massive straight. We eventually reeled in Richard Dickson's puny little Cooper (haha!) and I went side-by-side with him under braking for the Mulsanne Hairpin. He was later on the anchors than me and so was Jannis, as he couldn't get his car stopped in time, thus punting me into the sand bank.

There must have been an accident in Indianapolis on the next lap, because I was suddenly right back up there with Max West's Cooper. We catch another Cooper under braking for Maison Blanche (and not wanting to exit the track in a ball of flames) so I ease off a bit to give them a bit of room. I get a good run on Max exiting Dunlop, but he moves over to the left and I have to ease off. He runs wide though, and I can pass him on the outside of the right-hander in the esses.

Rich misses his braking for the Mulsanne Hairpin and re-joins behind me, and Jannis has a spin in the esses on the next lap. Ian Woollam also makes a mistake on the lap in Arnage which brings him within striking distance, and a little mistake in Maison Blanche sees me zip through to 7th overall! Apart from having a small spin in Tetre Rouge on the next lap the rest of the race is just a cruise to the finish. Not exactly a leisurely cruise though, with a 3:21.8 on the last lap.

All in all I'm happy with the result, but it's a rather bittersweet one. With this result I jump back into the lead of the second division championship, but not being able to make the last round will almost surely make me lose it again!

No comments: