11 May, 2006

WOSEC - Bathurst

[Saturday - 29th of April]

Track Map

I was given the honours of starting and qualifying the VTR3 car, paired with Ian Woollam. Surprisingly I managed to put the car 10th on the grid, in the 20-odd car field and got away to a nice clean start. Unfortunately I got stuck behind the OATAS Jaguar, and in my bid to find a way past I had a spin in the very tight Park section. I had to wait for a long time before it was safe to re-join, but apart from another minor spin later on I gradually climbed back up the order. I even had quite the fun little scrap with the ADC69 car, but he fell back after a failed passing attempt in the Esses spinning us both around. I handed the car over to Ian in 6th, and within half an hour he was right back up to 6th again :D

Ian's stint was quick, very quick. Unfortunately it was only rather consistant, and the car I took over wasn't exactly up to showroom standards. After pitting though, I got back the missing miles per hour at the end of Conrod, and my laptimes improved acordingly. I took on less fuel than originally planned at the end of my first fuel run, as continuing with full tanks would mean that Ian would only have about ten laps before finishing. I wasn't that far off running on fumes when handing back over to Ian, one more lap and we would have run dry! Ian drove the car in a smooth and controlled manner (bloody quick at times as well, he did a 1:52.9!), and cruised in to a formation finish with the winning VTR1 car in 6th.

VTR1: 1st
VTR2: 3rd
VTR4: 4th (Quicker drivers, pre-race connection problems)
VTR3: 6th

I'm very happy with this race, and it is my best overall result in an enduro to date. The backmarkers were generally very decent, especially in the mountain section, and made the race a whole lot safer. Safety does tend to make humans a bit cocky and, well, mad, though. In Vader Trophy Racing alone we had about three seperate three wide incidents, me being one of them! The next race is at the famous Nürburgring Nordschleife, don't miss out on live driver radio on the 27th of May!

No comments: