26 May, 2006

Vader Trophy - Nürburgring

[Wednesday - 10th of May]

Track Map

So I'm watching my (now) favourite show on TV, "I Shouldn't Be Alive" which is about stories of survival accompanied with great re-enactments. Just as the show goes to it's last ad break with about 20 minutes to go, I take a look at the clock. Then it hits me, isn't there a league race now? At my favourite track no less? CRAP! Thankfully this league is always pretty slow when it comes to getting the server up & such, and I made it in with about five minutes left of qualifying. I tell you what, it's a damn good job I drive at least one lap a day at this track or I'd be in serious trouble...

So there I am at the back of the grid, quite content as a matter of fact. The first corner here is notorious for causing accidents, and a slow start from the back will minimise my chances of being collected. There's a minor accident in turn one and I manage to avoid it with relative ease. I'd told myself before the race that I wasn't going to push, I was going to stay on track and let everybody else have all the accidents. For once in my life this strategy actually worked, and I ended up finishing in 4th from 16th on the grid. I have to say, I don't feel that deserved the final position up to 4th. Mattew Parry had crashed in Tiergarten on the last lap, and flat-out refused to let me let him past again. So cheers to you Matt, a true gent!

Finally. I've managed to have a good race at the Nürburgring, my favourite track and probably the one I've done the absolute highest mileage on of all the tracks in GPL. I'm extatic!

No comments: