31 May, 2006

NGPLS - Watkins Glen

[Tuesday - 16th of May]

Track Map

Due to lag, I got qualified 4th on the grid as opposed to 9th where my quickest non-lag would have put me. Luckily a reboot fixed the network issues, and I could proceed on to the NGPLS season finale at Watkins Glen. I got a very good start, actually beating the Brabham of Kristiansen ahead of me off the line. He goes for the pass in Big Bend, but I gather more speed on the outside line and re-take third. Two laps later another Brabham, this one belonging to Myrvold, passes me out of the Esses but I get third back when we pass the spun-off Eagle of Stolze just before the last corner. But then on lap 7, disaster strikes. I move back in line after having a look down the inside at The Loop, but I clip the grass and that pitches me into a big slide. I hold the slide for what seems like an eternity, but eventually I run out of track and spin off. Thus losing me three positions as I drop down to 6th.

The car in front has an accident in the Esses and bumps me up to 5th, a good nine seconds behind the next car. Up until the start of lap 17 I'm pretty much all on my own, but now I've been caught by Espen Baklid in his Ferrari, and he's quicker than me right now. Luckily (for me) he spins off exiting The Loop two laps later, and I now get a comfy 9-second gap to play with. Wanting to make the most of it I have a large slide exiting the Esses, almost going off in the process. Unfortunately another massive slide, this time in the final corner brings the gap down from a steady 4-5 seconds to two tenths of a second. Making the most of my costly mistake, he gets into my slipstream and passes me on the run down to The Loop. After pootling around on my own for a few laps I have another spin and lose more time. Luckily, again (for me), Espen has another spin. This time he's completely off the track, and this gives me 8 seconds to spare with four laps to go.

Eventually I bring it home in 5th, quite happy considering the spins and offs. Could have been better, but what couldn't have? The NGPLS season will resume again after the summer holiday. I'm not sure what car I'll be driving then, and I'm torn between the fun of the BRM (but in second division due to pace) or the speed of the Ferrari (but a possible first division due to pace).

No comments: