01 April, 2006

Vader Trophy - Rouen

[Wednesday - 15th of March]

Track Map

I qualified 9th on the grid, but the car ahead got a slow start and as a result so did I. Repassed a car who spun off in T2, but while trying to pass Alex Martin's Brabham on the outside in T3 (he used a lot of the road :P) my rear wheel hits the grass and I spin. I turn the car around, and before I could say "Oh crap!" I got nailed from behind by a good three cars. One of which went flying into the stratosphere. I get going again behind a slower Eagle, who I collide with under braking for Sanson. Luckily I get going without any spins or damage.

Three laps later I pass Max West just before Paradis, up to 10th! Then on lap 7 I encounter a spun off Ferrari in the Hairpin. I try to pass him on the inside, but lag happens and we both spin. I attempt a reverse 180 (Trust me, I do it all the time), but this one backfired and I....kinda hit him :P. I get passed, but re-take the position when he spins exiting Beuval. Simon Steele has spun in the hairpin, *yoink* up to 9th. Gradually, I start reeling in Alex Martin in the Brabham.

He messes up the hairpin bigtime with three to go, but fearing for my own safety I couldn't get past. He screws up again on the next lap, I get the inside line, but due to him being in the Brabham and me in the BRM the bastard gets ahead again :P. So I resort to the ultra-lunge of death in Sanson, and I would have made it stick if only I'd remembered to shift down to second from third. I stay hot on his six through all the last lap, ready to pounce at any opportunity. He waits until the very last corner on the very last lap to mess up. I go right, he moves over, I go left and get alongside, he moves over on me and we cross the line in a shower of sparks...

He beat me by 0.011 seconds.

The race overall wasn't that great, but the closing laps more than made up for it.


No comments: