01 April, 2006

NGPLS - Brands Hatch

[Tuesday - 21st of March]

Track Map

I actually practised this time around, lapping rather competitively without too much trouble. It's really easy to screw up on this track, particularly in Paddock Hill Bend and the compression at Dingle Dell, so I was going to be prepared for this one. For qualifying I just loaded the car up with race fuel and pootled around for the whole session to get my consistency up. 9th on the grid.

The start was actually completely accident-free, and I could easily settle into a rythm as cars gradually started falling off. Blam, I'm up to third. Unfortunately I spin in South Bank on lap 8, and drop to 4th. I catch him a few laps later, and pull a pass on him in Hawthorne on the next lap. He stays on my six for quite a while, a great help for my concentration, and I keep lapping consistent and quick laps. Gradually I pull away, and I'm all by myself but still going strong.

Then, with two laps to go, the engine starts spluttering. Out of fuel! I reset without losing any positions and set off again. But on the last lap, forgetting about the cold tyres and full tank of fuel, I outbrake myself in South Bank and lose two positions en route to a heartbraking 5th place finish.

No comments: