05 April, 2012

Prototype/GT @ Phillip Island - On the rostrum

Results (image) - Results on iRacing

Qualified 3rd, took 2nd right off the bat and settled in. Got overtaken by Tamy Accioly who then promptly went off the track, granting my position back to me. Actually led the 15th lap due to the leader (Cristian Petero) having an off while trying to lap a Ford GT. It got hampered badly myself by a Corvette on the next lap, and Cristian was back in the lead and once again lapping slightly faster than me. I soon realised I would need to pit for fuel, and fudged up the calculations slightly (resulting in 13 kg left in the tank at the end, which is too much) which cost me a couple of seconds. Me and Tamy then exited the pits nose-to-tail and I managed to hold him off for one lap before he snuck past under braking. Then he suddenly and inexplicably disappeared due to a disconnection, and I was back in 2nd which I was able to safely cruise home to.

Lapping the Corvettes and GTs is really tricky! They go much faster at the end of the straights, and then they have to slow down a lot for the corners. If either part isn't paying attention, and both cars pick the same side (which happens more often than you would think) a lot of time gets lost and sometimes cars get nerfed off the track. I wish iRacing had an LMP1 car so we didn't have to put up with this rubbish.

No comments: