19 April, 2006

NGPLS - Snetterton

[Tuesday - 18th of April]

Track Map

I did some testing beforehand this time, and actually came pretty close to my old PB. From 11th on the grid in a 13 car field I shoot through to 10th by Riches, due to two cars blowing up. Another car is passed between Riches and Sear, but I leave my braking a bit too late and go off. I get going dead last, but manage to pass two spun off cars in the esses plus two more in the Bomb Hole. A good little scrap is had with my quasi-namesake Espen Baklid until I have a little off at the end of the fourth lap. He is gradually reeled in, and by the eighth lap I'm within striking distance. It takes me until the end of lap 10 to get by, as he makes a slight mistake exiting the final chicaine. He manages to stay close for several laps, but when trying to pass me six laps later in the hairpin he spins, almost collecting me. A Lotus has also spun off, so I advance one position up the order.

A few laps go by, and my sock is feeling a little loose. I bend down to adjust it on lap 21 heading towards the Hairpin. Whoops! Was that my left rear wheel that just overtook me? That's right ladies and gents, I broke the third rule in Esben's Big Book of Racing Rules: Never, under any circumstances, adjust your socks while driving. I lose two positions after resetting, but one of them pops their engine on the run down to the esses. Despite this, I still have another Eagle on my tail, and can't do much as his superiour straightline speed promotes him to my position on the run down to the hairpin. Espen spins off in the esses on lap 24 and hands me 6th. I spin in the hairpin with five laps to go, but keep my position. Unfortunately this means that I get lapped by the leader (embarrasing, I know) and I pretty much cruised in to an alright 6th place.

I could have done much better, I really need to cut out this crashing/spinning off business. It's not doing me any good :P

No comments: