01 April, 2006

WOSEC - Norisring

[Saturday - 28th of January]

Track Map

Ah, Norisring, 2.2 miles/3.7 kilometres of german streets. A perfect place for a 6 hour race! This is the first race of WOSEC's second season, and not only is it at the shortest track yet but we've also set an attendance record with 35 cars qualifying. Vader Trophy Racing enters this race with the simple aim of surviving all the 6 hours. The attendance record is applying for VTR as well, as we entered four cars with two/three drivers per car.

I was given the job of qualifying and starting the race for the VTR4 car, paired with Simon Steele and later with Neil Stratton. I qualified in 16th, in the top half of the grid, and amazingly managed to avoid killing myself to death in the first few laps. And let me tell you, being one of 35 GTP cars snaking through the Norisring circuit is nothing to sniff your nose at. The first laps were really tense, and it took a long time for the field to settle down to a calm (for this track) rythm.

I was pretty consistant throughout my first stint, but I did manage to flip/get flipped about four times (one of which was actually a James Bond style barrel roll). The car was a bit down on power, but she kept going at it until I handed over to Simon in 3rd. In the midst of all these flips, the dE Racing car got taken out by a runaway car in the hairpin, right in front of me. After the driver change we were down in 9th, and Sim did a nice and steady stint without too many moments. Neil Stratton - who was originally going to do a stint in VTR1 but decided to let Gav Wilson, who'se car had been wrecked early on, drive in it instead - then took over and brought us back up through the order.

I took over with about an hour to go, and drove relatively drama free all the way to the finish. I came home in 7th, and VTR1 actually won the whole thing! Forza VTR!

No comments: