20 January, 2006

Vader Trophy - Monza

[Wednesday - 18th of January]

Track Map

After a day's break (where nothing worked) everything fell into place. I was doing constant 1:31s on race fuel, and 1:30s after emptying the tanks during qualifying. My quickest time was a 1:30.34, which got me 11th on the grid out of 17 drivers. Not bad for Monza :D

I got a good getaway from the line, but got stuck behind a row of 3 cars going 3-wide. My racer's sense started tingling and I lifted off, just enough so I didn't get too involved in the ensuing carnage. Although I hit one of the cars, I only did a 360 and could continue without losing a single position. In fact, I gained four positions on it!

The rest of the race was as un-dramatic as it gets. Consistently hammering the times in and just driving my own race in the Division 2 lead. Richard Dickson did catch me though, and I out-braked myself into the first Lesmo which let him by. I made the same mistake two laps later while looking for a way past, and I lost him. This didn't stop me from getting a new PB on the very last lap, a shiny new 1:30.072.

Finished in 8th overall, and won Division 2 rather comfortably. The season ahead could be very exciting if I can keep up this good form.

No comments: